Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Book 14: Clockwork Angel

Finished: March 1
Pages: 479

So, I have an confession to make. I love steampunk. I'm relatively sure that I have made this obvious on other occasions, like when reading The Somnambulist, and while this book isn't pure steampunk (it has too many elements of fantasy: werewolves, vampires, etc.), it certainly is the most I've seen in any young adult book so far.
This series is a prequel of sorts for The Mortal Instruments series that I read last year. This story takes place in Victorian London, with all the trappings and atmosphere to go with it. The foggy, rainy streets are the perfect location for a society bent on protecting normal people from "Underworlders" (previously identified werewolves, and vampires). It's got a little Sherlock Holmes, a lot of historical fiction, and some fantasy all rolled into one, and I like the vibe of these books, not to mention the characters themselves a lot more than the related series, The Mortal Instruments series, that I read last OFYP week. Even the girl characters, who seem to be little shrinking violets have backbone, which is nice to see. I think that she's really getting into the swing of things with this series. I look forward to the next one, which should be out in a few months.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment