Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book 13: Special Topics in Calamity Physics

Finished: February 27
Pages: 528

I really wanted to like it.
It is one of those novels where I want to be the kind of person who recommends it because, I don't know, it is the kind of book that I would recommend. I want to like "smart" books. I mean, I want to sound extra smart when I say, "Oh, I loved this book, and so will you" and then we would both be in the secret club of people who like and "get" it.
Sadly, this is not the case, and I fear it never will be. Are there things that I loved about this book? Yes. Without hesitation, yes. I love that there is a quiz at the end, and that the chapter titles are great works of literature that you should have read (which I have, mostly.) and that there are some really badly done illustrations. I particularly love that most of the quotes that she offers up to her reader are made up, citation and everything.
All these things aside, the ending was so ridiculous that it ruined everything up to that point out of sheer ridiculousness. So, I am disappointed, but at least a little I was disappointed in myself, as if it was my fault that I didn't like it.

Good reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment