Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Sixty-Five: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk

Book Sixty-Five: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary
Finished: December 31
Pages: 159

Short and sweet, a wonderful way to end the year. I read this collection of short stories in bed New Years Eve, while trying to decide if I wanted to get out of bed at all. I'm glad that I put it off long enough to get through these adorably illustrated tales of animals having the same issues that humans do: family doesn't approve of your spouse, uncontrolled pets, you name it.
Now, although I called it sweet, I must say that this book is more a satire of all the horrible things that people say or do to each other, as well as things that we would never actually say or do, but really want to. Sort of An Addams Family Aesop's Fables. I've never read any of the Olivia books, but please don't buy this book for your children just because the illustrator is the same. Yes, they are sometimes adorable, but often very disturbing illustrations.
All in all, I really enjoyed it, but maybe I was just feeling particularly macabre at the end of the old year and the return to school. I particularly liked the story of the mouse who had a pet snake. Yes, the ending is predictable, but sometimes a little predictability makes for good reading.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment