Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Book Fifty-Six to Sixty: Young Adult Extravaganza

Book Fifty-six: The Hunter's Moon
Finished: November 3
Pages: 289

Super-lame, under-developed, fake mythology with a cast of characters right out of archetypes-r-us.
Bleh.
I would like my hour and a half back, please.



Book Fifty-Seven: The Naming
Finished: November 5th
Pages: 528

Wanna be Lord of the Rings with a girl protagonist. There are four more books in this series, I think. I'm not going to rush out and check them out of the library any time soon.



Book Fifty-Eight: Jinx
Finished: November 7
Pages: 272

Cute, girly, appropriately young adult. Plus, Meg Cabot is pretty adorable. The best I can say is "yay happy endings."



Book Fifty-Nine: The Ask and the Answer
Finished: November 18
Pages: 544

Seriously, this book could not have been more disappointing. Also, I am super tired of dramatic cliffhangers at the end of books just so you have to go out and get the next one. I suppose I should be thankful that the third book in this series is already out, so if I wanted to know what happens I could find out today, but quite frankly, I just could not stand to read another one of these books. There was no resolution whatsoever for any of the conflicts in the novel!
The only good thing was this quote: "To see the ocean once is to learn how to miss it" (156).

Book Sixty: All We Know of Heaven
Finished: November 22
Pages: 310

I have decided that one of the worst things in Young Adult Lit is when a woman old enough to have teenagers herself takes it upon herself to write in the voice of teenagers. It sometimes works perfectly, but in this case, it sounds fake and sad. There is nothing more embarrassing than reading a book like this one. It was overly sentimental, contrived, and quite frankly, outlandishly unrealistic. This coming from someone who loves fantasy! Two girls are mistaken for each other after a car wreck, and the resulting fallout of mistaken identity, guilt, and remorse. It could have been an excellent choice, but the lack of proper grammar, inappropriate use of slang, and ridiculous punctuation and capitalization of the dialogue of even the adults in the story made me regret ever starting it. I think that a story like this could really be used to inspire students to overcome obstacles, but it just made me want to punch every single character in the face for being the stereotypes they were.

"Good" reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment