Saturday, October 2, 2010

Book Forty-nine: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

Book Forty-nine: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Finished: October 1
Pages: 292

I feel sad after finishing this book. I've been told that I should just read Like Water for Chocolate, instead of it's knock-offs, but from what I know of that book, Lemon Cake seems to be quite a bit different.
I was a little disappointed. Things that I wanted to have happen, didn't. Things that I thought wouldn't happen, did. The stuff that I thought needed to be talked about wasn't talked about, and it didn't seem that the more mundane characters really suffered for their mistakes.
The idea of the book is that Rose, our protagonist, can taste the emotions cooked into the foods she eats by the people who make them. She first learns this when she eats the birthday cake that her seemingly perfect and happy mother makes for her. Seems interesting, right? There are even a couple of interesting supporting characters; my favorites are the crazy Grandma who sends the family weird objects from her house, and George, Rose's brother's best friend, who has surprised eye brows.
I don't know if I would really recommend this book to many people. Even now, I just feel depressed. I'm not sure what the point of the book was, or what lesson was learned. I just don't know.
Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment