Monday, September 20, 2010

Books Forty-six and Forty-seven: Brightly Woven and Dead Until Dark

Book Forty-six: Brightly Woven
Pages: 354
Finished: September 17

Well, surprise, surprise! I read some more young adult fiction. I know, you're shocked! What can I say? It's the beginning of the school year, and I don't really want to read a lot of heavy stuff right now.
This is your basic Young Adult plot: Girl meets mysterious boy with secret. Girl is taken away from everything she knows on wild adventure with mysterious boy. Girl develops secret magic powers. Boy and girl have conflict. Girl runs away/gets kidnapped/gets in trouble. Discovers she is in love with Boy. Boy saves girl/girl saves herself. Boy and girl fall in love. The End.

Whoops, sorry. I just ruined every Young Adult Fantasy novel in existence.

Book Forty-seven: Dead Until Dark
Pages: 336
Finished: Sometime in the last three weeks

Many of my friends are obsessed with Trueblood. So, I decided to take the Charlaine Harris books for a spin. I was also checking to see if these were books that I would want to have in my classroom, since my kids are all obsessed with Twilight. Man, was I wrong on that count! I just don't feel comfortable having my kids read books with that much sex in them. If it had been a couple isolated incidents, I would not have minded, but these are definitely trashy books, with little redeeming value.
Did I enjoy this book? Certainly. When I need a trashy light read I will turn to the rest of this series, but I don't think I'll recommend them to my students.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment