Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book Thirty-eight: The Knife of Never Letting Go

Book Thirty-eight: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Pages: 479
Finished: 4:25 a.m. July 28

So, you guys? I'm a little overwhelmed. This book is CRAZY. Seriously. Because, you guys? I totally just read it in two and a half hours. The WHOLE BOOK. That's 479 pages of normal sized Young Adult book text in less than three hours. You know how I read Catching Fire in one night because of how good it was? and how I can't read the last Harry Potter in anything less than 5 and a half hours straight through, don't call me I won't answer the phone, must cry for Snape insanity? This was like that, but a different kind of intense, plus there is a talking dog. Let me repeat that: There is a talking dog in this book and it is endearing as hell. It is pretty much exactly the way I picture dogs talking. Like in UP but cuter because I get to give the dog whatever voice I want.
PS. I've only read one other book all the way through in the past three weeks, and I don't understand why we can have all these really easy to read interesting books for young adults, but I feel obligated to slog my way through Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali to make myself feel guilty about being an American who didn't have to go through difficulties.
Issues with the book were not completely absent. Pretty much half the book is misspelled. This bothered me for about forty pages, and then I just tried to think of it like Huckleberry Finn, and it was fine. It makes sense that if you have a narrator whose words you can see, you would see them misspelled if he doesn't even know how to read. P.S. Super adorable when he tries to read. I mean it.
The premise of the book is also interesting. Human settlers leave Earth (or I'm assuming it's Earth) and land on a new planet. The new planet causes everyone to be able to hear all the thoughts of all the men. Different groups of people have different reactions. The story goes on from there. The way that they give you these bits and snippets of history and "truth" is also very vividly written.
Probably not for fans of sci-fi, but an enjoyable read, so maybe you should try it anyway.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment