Thursday, May 27, 2010

Book Twenty-six: City of Bones

Book Twenty-six: City of Bones
Finished: May 27
Pages: 485

Okay, so I've seen these books on the shelves at the library and the bookstores for a few years now. Many of my students have recommended them to me, but I've never gotten around the actually reading one of them until now. To be perfectly honest, I was concerned that it would turn into another Twilight fiasco. I just don't see that much in the way of decent fantasy written these days, much less written for young adults. It tends to be either horrible trite or overly juvenile. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I am not going to tell you that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but definitely not as bad as the covers would perhaps make you suspect.
Although the premise (teenage girl discovers that she is "different" is drawn into a world where nothing is as it seems/discovers her secret past/powers/family she's never known) is as old as fantasy itself, the writing is interesting and humorous when it needs to be, and the description is vivid and appealing. If you like fantasy you wouldn't completely waste your time this summer reading it by the pool, but don't feel like you'd be really missing out if you read something else instead.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment