Monday, May 10, 2010

Book Twenty Four: The Chosen One

Book Twenty Four: The Chosen One
Finished: May 10
Pages: 213

I read this book because the author, Carol Lynch Williams, is coming to school tomorrow and Lydia told me that I should read it. Now, I understand that Mrs. Williams writes young adult literature (emphasis on the young) so I am giving her some leeway about this book, The Chosen One.
For all I can understand the sentiment of being against the kind of fundamentalist mindset that is apparent within the first pages of the book. The black and white nature of the author's point of view and characterization of this group and these men was overbearing, and occasionally too preachy for me to handle. Although the book was written for 12/13 year olds, I think that is an appropriate time to kids to start seeing that not all the world is cut and dry.

These are the things that I really liked about the book: the format of the text, the voice of the main character, that the author didn't pull her punches as far as the violence and consequences. I did not get that the message of the book was about all cults, I really only focused on those crazy people living in West Texas, and in Utah.

Meeting the author did make me like the book a little bit more, knowing that it was partially based on true events, but not enough that I would really recommend them to anyone over the age of 13.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment