Monday, March 27, 2017

Spring Break 2017 Fantasy Extravaganza

So this Spring Break, I decided that it would be nice to not do anything. And by "decided" I mean "procrastinated to the point where there was no point in planning anything." So, I was home, and really didn't want to spring clean my apartment, so I pulled out some books and started reading.
Procrastination at its finest.
I reread an entire series of books called The Song of the Lioness, because I was feeling very nostalgic and wanted something easy. There are four books in the series (Alanna: the First Adventure, In the Hand of the Goddess, The Woman who Rides Like a Man, and Lioness Rampant), and they follow the story of a young girl named Alanna who hides her identity in order to become a knight in a fantasy world where there is magic and sorcerers and gods and goddesses of everything. She makes unlikely friendships along the way and gets into all kinds of trouble and foils plots against the king and generally runs around being heroic. I love it.
It certainly doesn't hurt that there's a magical talking cat.
So, after I finished those four, I started in on the sequel series, The Immortals Quartet, but I only read the first one of those, Wild Magic, because after a while I get a little tired of reading books by the same author, even if I love Tamora Pierce more than almost anything. And then I realized that these books have been out for longer than I've been alive, and that's funny to me because when I read them for the first time, I was in middle school, and I could have sworn they were newly published then, but boy was I wrong on that one.
Then I started reading this other fantasy series by Sharon Shinn called The Twelve Houses, and I read the first couple of those: Mystic and Rider, and The Thirteenth House. Super engaging stories about magical people living in a kingdom where you have kings, and feudal overlords and all that good stuff. I've read the whole series before and I don't know why I didn't feel like I wanted to read something new, but sometimes there's just a real comfort in knowing where a story is generally going to go, even if you don't remember the exact details.

Good reading!
Caitlin


No comments:

Post a Comment