Friday, February 4, 2011

Book 8: Light Boxes

Finished: February 2
Pages: 147

Here is the deal with this book. I am apparently not cool enough or smart enough or something, because I just do not get it. The premise seemed simple: the month of February is never ending, causing all sorts of issues: flight stops working, the sun never shines, the snow, winter, are never ending, despair reaches all the citizens.

But then the weirdness started, and it never stopped. February became a person, then was someone else; people died, but didn't die; every character was an archetype rather than a character; the font changed sizes, and took up little room on some of the pages.

I felt crazy by the time I finished, which I suppose was the author's intention. However, all the different font sizes, and empty pages just made me feel like I wasn't getting it. I hate not getting it.

I did like the opening quotation:
"The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February." With all our crazy weather we have had lately, I could only imagine how awful it would be to have all that snow and grey and cold all winter long, all February long.

All in all, I'm glad that, unlike February in the story, the book was short.

Good Reading,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment